Senior Research and Development Manager (Job:JK-0904)
- Category: R&D
- Country: United States
- Location: Pine Brook - Onsite
Country: United States
Location: Pine Brook – onsite
Senior Research and Development Manager (Job #JK-0904) -- This role is focused on championing new scientific development projects in support of the Americas strategic and commercial goals. Under the direction of the VP of R&D, this position conducts research to initiate, execute, and/or support new project development and renovation of current brands. This position oversees all aspects of projects from conceptualization, technology discovery, to final product launch, working through a cadre of outside independent consultants and laboratories. A wide degree of creativity, science acumen and latitude is required.
This role is expected to be onsite in the New Jersey R&D lab/office located at 20 Chapin Road, Unit 1013, Pine Brook, NJ 07058.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Manage multiple functions within the Research and Development (R&D) functional structure including innovation, marketing and sales support, quality and operations support as well as regulatory oversight as it pertains to current efforts.
- Manage the priorities, assignments and projects for all brands in support of the Americas commercial business, as well as plan, obtain and allocate resources required.
- Translate business objectives to effective plans and projects following appropriate scientific methods and employing identified resources, both internal and external.
- Design project parameters and research plans, applying current scientific knowledge relevant to the project, typically requiring over 12 months of development. This includes composing budgets, and identifying milestones and decision points, contingency plans, flowcharts and timelines.
- Collaborate and influence cross-functionally and internationally with external suppliers, internal stakeholders, and within the organization’s global R&D to apply and develop the necessary talent for accomplishing objectives, solving complex technical challenges and meeting business needs.
- Act as a mentor to other staff members, especially in the business aspects of R&D operations, as compared to the technical aspects of R&D.
What You’ll Bring To The Role
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Chemistry, Material Science, Physics, or a related technical field.
- 3 years of progressive experience in the job offered or 3 years of progressive experience in aerosol packaging and testing, analytical and inorganic chemistry, or any combination thereof.
- Employer will accept a Master’s degree or equivalent in Chemistry, Material Science, Physics, or a related technical field and 1 year of experience in the job offered or 1 year of experience in aerosol packaging and testing, analytical and inorganic chemistry, or any combination thereof in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 3 years of progressive experience.
- Work experience to include: (1) 3 years of experience (or 1 year of experience with a Master’s degree) leading research and development projects across multiple functions and disciplines, including chemical formulation within scientific method and protocols, testing, protocol design, trial production design, evaluation and audit, and technology sourcing and identification. (2) 3 years of experience (or 1 year of experience with a Master’s degree) leading cross functional teams to influence quality and innovation to inform product design to optimize efficacy, cost, manufacturability and scalability, planning, and design to achieve commercial outcomes that are regulatorily compliant. (3) 3 years of experience (or 1 year of experience with a Master’s degree) solving problems involving both technical and managerial aspects of R&D activities requiring cross-regional collaboration. (4) 3 years of experience (or 1 year of experience with a Master’s degree) leading a team of technical staff, including chemists, packaging engineers, and laboratory personnel in the development of commercial products and technologies, including aerosol delivery systems, solvents, polymers, surfactants, lubricating oils, metalworking additives, emulsifiers, lubrication and rust testing equipment, flammability testing, and packaging technologies. (5) 1 year of experience managing at least 4 R&D functions (operations, regulatory, quality, marketing, sales, or legal) and apply them to business objectives across regions. (6) Working with research and development and functions, including operations, regulatory, quality, marketing, sales, and legal, in the development of consumer products, patents, marketing claims, claims support, and analytical data. (7) Using lab equipment, including lubrication testing equipment, corrosion testing, gas chromatography, x-ray diffraction, and flash point testing, for development of specifications, product performance testing and claims support.
- Any and all experience may be gained concurrently.
- Position requires 25% domestic travel and 5% international travel. Travel expenses paid by employer.
- 40 hrs./wk.
- Interested candidates must apply electronically from WD-40 Company’s site (this page).
The salary range is $115,000 to $140,000 per year and is determined by multiple factors including but not limited to relevant experience, knowledge, skills, other job-related qualifications, and alignment with market data.
- Medical insurance, 80-95% company-paid premium
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401K match
- Annual cash incentive rewards
- Tuition reimbursement
- Short-day Fridays
- Paid holidays, including winter shut down
At WD-40 Company, we believe that purpose-driven, passionate people guided by our values create amazing outcomes. Our "why" is refreshingly simple - we exist to create positive lasting memories in everything we do.
Why You Should Apply
- Learning-based culture that supports the growth and development of all tribe members
- Strong values aligned culture whose #1 strategic driver is to build a business for the future that we will be proud to hand down to the next generation
- Over 93.3% employee engagement as of January 2022 global employee survey
- A culture where 93% of the tribe report experience a sense of belonging
- Voted Most Democratic Workplace and certified WorldBlu Freedom Centered Workplace
Please, only consider employment with WD-40 Company if you feel as strongly about our values as we do: We live, breathe, and play by our values every day.
Thank you for considering WD-40 Company in your career search! #WD40TribalLife #PositiveLastingMemories
At WD-40 Company we foster a culture of inclusion where all individuals are recognized, valued, respected, and experience a sense of belonging. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to individual characteristics that make us unique such as our backgrounds, experiences, qualities, talents, traits, beliefs, and preferences.